Saturday, October 31, 2009

Nollywood in peril

Niyi Ige appears to liken what Dora Akunyilu does to the Nigerian image to what is happening in the Nollywood art (art?) scene. Deodorize, deodorize the the putrefying body. Oh, oh, I might have gone too far here. Please, read Niyi's words and judge for yourself. And remember to forgive me if I really went too far in my characterization. Here you go:

"In order not to mislead anyone, I must begin with a confession, I have no fondness for Nollywood or perhaps more accurately I do not understand the phenomenon.

The thin scripts, wildly implausible plots, non-existent production values and the determinedly stilted dialogue leave me somewhat mystified as to its potent appeal to vast swathes of the Nigerian public and further afield.

I am consistently confounded when I catch acquaintances whose cultural and aesthetic bonafides I was prepared to vouch for watching Africa Magic on the sly while a stack of ‘home videos’ lurk surreptitiously in the corner."
ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment