Thursday, March 12, 2009

Say You're One of Them - Alyssa McDonald

Have you ever imagined a Catholic priest describing a sex scene in a work of fiction? It's surely like handling a hot potato. Many Nigerian commentators, including one reviewer I admire so much, you guess it, Ikhide, suggest that our own Uwem Akpan must have encountered such difficulty while writing his stories - Say You're One of Them. Even Helon Habila thinks that the title is a bit odd. I don't know.
Well, I was fishing for reviews of Nigerian writing in world news outlets and chanced on this one by Alyssa McDonald. It starts thus: "All the stories in Uwem Akpan's debut collection focus on the lives of African children, and all are bleak."
This doesn't sound promising, does it? Well, I invite you to read the whole review. I warn you, it's short. HERE YOU GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment