Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Activist Dies in Tanure Ojaide’s Dreams

Ikhide R. Ikheloa (Nnamdi) is one of the few reviewers of world literatures whose words I take as seriously as I do mine - when inspired. I have been following his numerous reviews of Nigerian writings on some websites and each time I read his review I come away fulfilled. You know, it is the kind of feeling I used to have after attending a Holy Mass with a good sermon held by an enlightened, philosophically sound and socially conscious priest. Now you have rightfully guessed that I have a religious soul. Oh, yeah, sometimes something stirs deep within and I think I'm merely part of something larger than NOW.
Oh, well, if Ikhide were a priest, I would go to his church to hear his sermons.
So, after hearing (actually reading) one of his superb reviews titled, "The Activist Dies in Tanure Ojaide's Dream," I quickly ordered Ojaide's book. Lo and behold everything Ikhide said about this book was confirmed by my own reading.
Okay, here is Oga Ikhide in his own words. Read him, if you are a patriotic, literature-loving Nigerian, you'll surely sing praises for our dear Naija full of talents. Here is the review. Please enjoy. Prove me wrong, please.

1 comment:

  1. I just read The Activist and I think it is a fantastic book...to some point. I however strongly disagree with his romantisation that we see at the end. He alters a lot of things just to make the end look right. It made the work lose a lot of credibility in my standing. It is not as if his utopia cannot occur but come on! Face it, the Nigeria we have and in normal human societies, the end just comes as a big souring to the beautiful tale he starts. Thanks for the link to Ikhide's review. One wonders, where's yours? Su'eddie Agema

    ReplyDelete